Discovery Seminars are intensive, 5-credit, month-long classes designed to meet the needs of incoming freshmen. Emphasizing interdisciplinary study, focused inquiry and writing, Discovery Seminars give you the chance to jumpstart your freshman experience the month before autumn quarter begins. Discovery Seminar professors have worked to establish shared, stimulating goals and strategies for these special classes. The intense interaction provides both a sense of belonging and responsibility as you take on the new rigors and opportunities of your university experience.
- Interact one-on-one with some of the UW's most engaging professors
- Learn research basics and scholarly inquiry skills
- Engage in active learning in a supportive, challenging environment
- Experience small classes limited to 25 students
- Work with departmental and Undergraduate Academic Affairs advisers to learn about possible majors, educational opportunities at the UW and how the university works
How to Register
Use the links on the left to find a course you're interested in. At the bottom of each course description is a link that takes you to a registration page where you can sign up for the course online.