I have completed one or more years of college
How does Admissions make their decision?
University Admission Policy
The Board of Regents and the faculty desire that students admitted to the University of Washington display qualities that predict academic success and enhance the intellectual and cultural vitality of the university community.
Transfer applicants must meet the following minimum standards to be assured their application will receive a comprehensive review:
The Comprehensive Review
Many factors are considered in making admission decisions, which are based on much more than grade-point average (GPA) or predicted academic performance. Applicants are assessed holistically on their academic performance and personal qualities or achievements. Information provided by the applicant in the Personal Statement plays an integral role in the admission decision. The comprehensive review includes the following assessment areas:
- Level of academic achievement including cumulative transfer GPA based on all transferable college-level courses attempted; rigor of curriculum; and consistency in course completion
- Well-defined academic goals
- Preparation for intended major
- Plan for timely completion of a bachelorís degree
- Completion of foreign language through the 103-level, or equivalent, when applying to Arts and Sciences or Social Work
- Evidence of a need to enroll at the UW and the availability of the applicantís intended academic program at other Washington public educational institutions
- Academic or artistic awards and achievements, community service, work experience,
or research that demonstrates success or potential contributions to the University and community
- Improved grades after an extended absence from college or evidence of a new maturity in approaching college work
- Cultural awareness
- Perseverance in attaining higher education in spite of personal adversity, disability, or economic disadvantage
- Admission test scores, if provided
For more information, contact Advising at 206-543-6160 or email@example.com.